Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pasta Alla Checca - Test and Review

I watch Its Judy's life on youtube. It is a daily video log of the day for a family of three. The husband made this recipe and it sounded very good. I wanted to try it myself.

Here is the video recipe. Pasta Alla Checca by BenjiManTV

I started the dish before realizing I was out of spaghetti so I had to use elbow pasta instead. I think it would have been much better with spaghetti or fettuccine. I also used a lot less olive oil than the recipe specifies. I used yellow tomatoes because they were the sweetest ones at the grocery store. I also haven't found an issue with storing the mozzarella with the tomatoes mixture. It would have looked prettier with red tomatoes or a mixture of the red and yellow.

This is a really simple and tasty dish but requires some fore-thought to prep the tomatoes. It tasted fresh and had a good balance of savory and tangy. The oil wasn't too heavy for me. I will be making this again.

Ingredients

  • 1 box of pasta
  • 2 containers of tomatoes (small cherry or grape tomatoes that come in a plastic container)
  • 1 ball of mozzarella
  • 1 package of fresh basil leaves
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Steps

  1. 2-8 hours ahead of serving prepare the tomatoe mixture.
  2. Cut the tomatoes, basil, garlic and place in a bowl. Salt and pepper.
  3. Pour in oil. I certainly didn't use a cup's worth. More likely less than half a cup.
  4. Cover and let it sit between 2-8 hours.
  5. Cook pasta.
  6. Cut mozzarella into cubes and mix into tomatoes.
  7. Pour freshly cooked pasta over the tomatoes, toss and serve.