Sunday, July 21, 2013

Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers - Trial and Review

One word: amazing. This is such a fantastic recipe and it is so simple. I followed a recipe I found on pinterest for Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers but modified it a little bit.

Here is my version.

Ingredients

  • 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Small onions
  • 1 Small package of sliced mushrooms
  • 3 Pinches of dried Italian herbs, salt and pepper
  • 1/2 - 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's)
  • 1 Package of roast beef sliced meat
  • 3 Large green peppers
  • 1 Package sliced Provolone cheese (I used reduced fat)

Steps

  1. Place pan on medium-low heat. Pour oil into pan.
  2. Slice onions. Then place onions and mushrooms in pan. Cook until carmalized, about 30 minutes, stiring every 5-10 minutes.
  3. Flavor with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Remember that the roast beef will be salty.
  4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice the peppers in half and remove the insides.
  5. Slice beef. Add to pan and cook 5-10 minutes.
  6. Place a slice of cheese inside each pepper.
  7. Add the vinegar and stir, then remove from heat.
  8. Fill the peppers with the mixture. Then cover with another slice of cheese.
  9. Bake in the oven until cheese is bubbly and golden. This took about 7 minutes.

This has no carbs. Do I miss the bread? Yes because philly cheesesteak sandwiches have wonderfully crusty bread but this is a great alternative when going low or no carb. I added the acid and the dried herbs to give it a little more flavor. I didn't use the butter because I didn't think I would need the flavor.