Saturday, July 20, 2013

How to move ahead when "Everything Sucks"

Another wonderful lesson from Marie Forleo. This one is so hard for me because it requires retraining my brain. In here Q&A Tuesday video, Marie TV, talks bout how to deal when everything sucks. It is an exercise in seeing the positives that is so difficult for me because I automatically jump to the negative. It takes redirecting my thoughts to see the positive. Sometimes I have to vent in order to move past the emotions of the issue and start redirecting my thoughts. Sometimes I'll write it down, but usually I have to talk to someone who knows me well and cares. Then I'm able to tweak my thinking. Pull up the lessons I've learned on how to deal with difficult people or difficult situations. I hope that the more I practice directly my thoughts, the easier it will come. I feel it is related to the daily positive list activity I tried and both activities will help make the other easier.

She also stresses the importance of moving ahead. Nothing is more torturous than not doing anything. But it is even more difficult to make a choice if all the choices suck. I think it is important to remember that you are going to make mistakes. Something will fail.

But I think she is missing the spiritual part. It is important to pray to God about how to move ahead. Reading from the Bible can also help. I feel it is reassuring to keep thinking that God put me in this place for a reason. What am I supposed to learn from this. Sometimes there are things that you can only learn from a struggle. When it is easy, it doesn't require faith. Plus struggle inspires personal growth.

It includes a great tweetable and a quote from Mia Angelo - "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude about it."