Saturday, July 27, 2013

How to determine if sunglasses are polorized

I confess I'm a geek at heart. When I saw this video, I just had to share it. Here is a trick to determine if the sunglasses you are looking to buy are polarized. Take two pairs and hold them in front of a light. Overlap the lenses and turn one 90 degrees. There should be a visible decrease in the light coming through the lens. See the photo below.

I thought this is a great trick because its an easy test to perform in stores. I love polarized sunglasses because the block out glare and are generally darker with out the lens being dark. I have sensitive eyes and always wear sunglasses.

Bonus tip from Snopes: wear polarized sunglasses when driving in the rain. They help to block out the reflecting and scattering of light in the rain or fog allowing you to see better. It doesn't work for non-polarized.

Hashtags: #lifehacker #tips #mylife #sunglasses #science