Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chicken Piccata - Trial and Review

I found a recipe for Chicken Piccata off of Pinterest. It taught me a great technique for cooking chicken faster. Take the chicken breast and cut it in half horizontal. You end up with two cutlets of the same size. No pounding needed. Plus it is so quick to cook. You can find the original recipe from the link above but here is my version.

I use a chicken broth concentrate instead of chicken broth. This reduces the amount of time needed to reduce the sauce. Since there isn't much other prep and it takes two pans to cook all the chicken, I use the chicken cooking time to prepare the rest of the ingredients.

I left out the butter from the original recipe. I didn't feel it needed the flavor and I didn't need the extra calories. I also didn't salt or pepper the chicken. I didn't miss it much because frying give it a lot of flavor.

I don't bother to measure out the lemon juice or the zest because I like the lemon flavor and it saves time. It is the same for pouring the honey from the bottle and estimating with handfuls instead of actually measuring.

Thought it seems like there is a lot of steps, this can be made in under 30 minutes. Plus if you add sides that make themselves, like pasta or mushrooms, you can make a complete meal.

I love this recipe and it has become one of my go to for a quick dinner. I have most of the ingredients on hand and just pick up the fresh lemon and parsley. It has a great mix of fresh, tart and sweet.

Bonus: Put the lemon rind down the disposal to make your drain smell better.

Ingredients

  • 1 package of chicken breast (3 breasts)
  • Flour
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 lemon (both zest and juice will be used)
  • 1/2 C Water
  • 1-2 tsp chicken broth concentrate (I use Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base)
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1-2 Tbsp capers
  • 1 handful of parsley

Steps

  1. Pour the oil into a frying pan and heat on medium. Slice the chicken breasts.
  2. Dust a plate with flour and dip the chicken, both sides.
  3. Add to the hot oil and fry 2-3 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Remove and place on plate.
  4. While the chicken is cooking, cut the green onions into rings using the white and light green parts only. Zest the lemon. Chop the parsley. Heat the water until boiling in the microwave and add in the chicken broth concentrate. Chop the parsley and the capers (this helps to dispurse the flavor).
  5. Remove any excess oil or add some to the pan until you about about 1 tsp of oil. Add the green onions and cook until fragrant.
  6. Add the chicken broth and let it reduce until there is very little liquid left.
  7. Add in the honey. You can pour directly from the bottle. Cut the lemon in half and juice it over the pan. I love a wooden reamer because it is cheap and works great. If you juice it with the cut side up then squeeze it with the cut side in the palm of your hand, it helps to keep the seeds out.
  8. Turn off the heat and mix in the parsley, capers and lemon zest.
  9. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.