Friday, October 12, 2012

Pumpkin Mousse

I’ve added some notes off to the side on the recipe. The recipe below yields 4 servings so I’ve doubled it every time I’ve made it.

Pumpkin Mousse
• 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
• 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix (**The butterscotch is nice but overpowering. I prefer ½ butterscotch and ½ cheesecake pudding mix. So if you double the recipe 1 package of each)
• ½ cup canned pumpkin
• ¼ tsp ground ginger
• ¼ tsp ground allspice
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• I also added nutmeg. And I didn’t really follow the measurements on the spices; I increased the amounts slightly.
• 1 cup fat-free whipped topping, divided

1. In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Combine pumpkin and spices; fold into pudding. Fold in ½ cup whipped topping.
2. Transfer to individual serving dishes. Refrigerate until serving. (I found that leaving it in the fridge overnight yielded the best results.)
3. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and gingersnap crumbles, if desired.

Nutritional info: 2/3 cup mousse with 2 tablespoons whipped topping equals 96 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk.