- 1 lb lean ground beef (we used 1 lb ground turkey and seasoned it with McCormick low sodium taco seasoning)
- 1 jar (16 oz) Thick 'n Chunky Salsa
- 1 can (16 oz) Old El Paso refried beans (we used 1 can of reduced sodium black beans, drained)
- 8 soft corn tortillas (6 in) - we used white corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can Spanish rice (I got a Near East box of Spanish rice and made that instead of using the can rice)
- 1 cup coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- Optional (we added all of these) - diced tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, avocado, low fat sour cream
- Heat oven to 350F. Spray 11x7 in (2 qt) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown beef until cooked thoroughly and drain. Stir in 1 cup of salsa; heat about 2 minutes or until hot.
- Line baking dish with 4 of the tortillas, overlapping to fit. In medium bowl, stir in beans and remaining salsa; spoon and spread evenly over tortillas. Top with half of the meat mixture and 3/4 cup of cheese. Layer remaining 4 tortillas over cheese. Spoon and spread rice over tortillas. Top with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with tortilla chips.
- Bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until hot in center and bubbling on sides. Top with remaining cheese and garnish with tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and sour cream if desired.